The pandemic accelerated many companies’ adoption of the cloud but they were woefully unprepared for what the migration would entail. Cloud adoption is not just a technological shift — it’s a cultural shift. In this episode, Derek Swanson offers five tips for companies who are looking to migrate their most important data to the public cloud.
Migration to the cloud is the necessary first step to capturing cloud value. It provides scalability, agility, resilience, security, and a lower total cost of ownership. Join me for a review of each method for migration, and the risks and benefits of each. I will also go over the ways to mitigate risk with each step.
Your host, Derek Swanson, is Chief Technology Officer for Silk. Derek has over 25 years of experience writing code and building solutions. From his work on Novell networks in the 90s to server virtualization in the 2000s, Derek has the experience and knowledge to guide you through all the ups and downs of the many public cloud services available today.
Join us each episode for in-depth discussions across different elements and aspects of the cloud, from the technical to the absurd, with a focus on helping YOU understand the capabilities and limitations of various public cloud offerings. Our goal is to explain how a blend of cloud technology can be effectively married to business outcomes that help you be better prepared to smartly approach and solve your business problems with cloud technologies.
Getting Loud About the Cloud podcast is powered by Silk. With acrobatic cloud flexibility and unshakeable data resiliency, Silk offers the greatest database performance of your life. Silk is rewriting the rules of the cloud to make businesses smarter, faster, and fully prepared for whatever the world has in store for them next.
- Spending on cloud migration is estimated to be $480 Billion USD in 2022 alone
- What steps are critical for effective cloud migration?
- The 80/20 rule– the 20% most critical segments are your “anchor workloads
- Four paths to migration:
- Refactoring to PaaS or DB PaaS
- Lift and shift
- Containers or containerization
- Serverless architecture
- As data moves to the cloud, we expect the same or better performance
- Five steps to managing risk:
- Performance needs
- Data mobility and locality
- High availability
- Test, test, and test again
- Post-migration monitoring
- We welcome your suggestions– reach out to Silk for topics for upcoming episodes